Use the DTN NXCore for your market feed in Quant

(Last Updated On: May 18, 2010)
Learn the Secret

Get  our 2 Free Books

Get these now which land directly to their inbox.
Invalid email address

Here is a conversation on reddit.com which pretty well inspired me tostart thinking about blending my knowledge of technology and financial investment. This was pretty inspiring where an indie software engineer launched his own business. He is now clearing in the millions per year. Source was:

IAMA 100% automated independent retail trader. I trade around 800k to 1.5 million shares a day and make 2cents/trade on average. AMAA from IAmA

whatswith_this 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (3 children)

bolln 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (1 child)

How would this work, surely you risk your employees stealing your advantages that you’ve got and fucking you up?

mejalx [S] 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago[+] (2 children)

mejalx [S] 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago[-]

You’re perfectly right, attrition is horrendous in the trading industry. I’d try to run a tightly separated ship, I keep control of everything while I farm out trivial, but time consuming tasks to employees.

citricsquid 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago[+] (1 child)

citricsquid 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago[-]

Makes sense, I thought you meant putting them in charge of the actual important stuff. How much of your time would you say is taken up by these trivial tasks and if you did get employees involved, would it make you money or just give you more free time?

mejalx [S] 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago* [+] (0 children)

mejalx [S] 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago* [-]

I’d say about 1/2 of my time I spend on the software/hardware side of things, especially now that I’m trying to improve my infrastructure. I’m something of a jack of all trades, as I have to worry about a lot of different components, so I’m sure most are not optimal. There’s no doubt that I could squeeze out more performance and therefore more profit if I hired professional guys with targeted expertise to do specific things. My time could then be focused more on the research/development side, which is what actually makes the money.

scottythesmell 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (0 children)

scottythesmell 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

What stats do you look at? What kind of sharpe ratio do you get, volatility etc.. What are you trading, mostly single stocks? Do you do any futures or FX? Do you have a box at the exchange?

This is pretty much my job too, IAMA programmer for a hedge fund manager; most of our strategies take daily positions though, we have looked into realtime stuff but have more or less decided that it it doesn’t scale (we have about $1 billion under management). We do use realtime strategies for executing large orders efficiently though.

whynottry 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (1 child)

whynottry 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

Do you really enjoy your work? What do you enjoy most about it?

mejalx [S] 0 points1 point2 points 6 months ago[+] (0 children)

mejalx [S] 0 points1 point2 points 6 months ago[-]

I love being constantly challenged. Everything is dynamic and the market/participants are always changing. You’ve got to stay on your toes, there’s no room for apathy. I like that.

crazyeight 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (4 children)

crazyeight 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

Where do you get historical data from, for strategy development and back-testing?

mejalx [S] 3 points4 points5 points 6 months ago[+] (3 children)

mejalx [S] 3 points4 points5 points 6 months ago[-]

I subscribe to the DTN NxCore whole market feed. I compress and save tick data during the market day, so I’ve slowly built up my own collection. When I need extra data, these days I’ll just shell out to get it from tickdata.com, whereas in the past I would try to patch it together from the cheapest source.

load more comments (3 replies)

odeusebrasileiro 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (9 children)

odeusebrasileiro 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

HOW DO YOU START A PROFITABLE TRADING BUSINESS? Read more NOW >>>

This entry was posted in Quant Analytics and tagged , , on by .

About caustic

Hi i there My name is Bryan Downing. I am part of a company called QuantLabs.Net This is specifically a company with a high profile blog about technology, trading, financial, investment, quant, etc. It posts things on how to do job interviews with large companies like Morgan Stanley, Bloomberg, Citibank, and IBM. It also posts different unique tips and tricks on Java, C++, or C programming. It posts about different techniques in learning about Matlab and building models or strategies. There is a lot here if you are into venturing into the financial world like quant or technical analysis. It also discusses the future generation of trading and programming Specialties: C++, Java, C#, Matlab, quant, models, strategies, technical analysis, linux, windows P.S. I have been known to be the worst typist. Do not be offended by it as I like to bang stuff out and put priorty of what I do over typing. Maybe one day I can get a full time copy editor to help out. Do note I prefer videos as they are much easier to produce so check out my many video at youtube.com/quantlabs