fbpx

QuantLib, QuickFIX, and colocation picks for top algo auto trading systems

(Last Updated On: May 12, 2010)

Here is a conversation on reddit.com which pretty well inspired me tostart thinking about blending my knowledge of technology and financial investment. This was pretty inspiring where an indie software engineer launched his own business. He is now clearing

Do you colocate next to the real servers so you can do that flash stuff?

mejalx [S] 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (1 child)

mejalx [S] 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

I do colocate near my brokers, but no, I don’t have anything to do with flash orders.

davvblack 0 points1 point2 points 6 months ago[+] (0 children)

davvblack 0 points1 point2 points 6 months ago[-]

Does that have to do with abusing ping times to snap up trades other brokers have put orders in for?

perverted_monk 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago* [+] (11 children)

perverted_monk 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago* [-]

what resources would you recommend to someone with a CS background who wants to learn from the ground up?

mejalx [S] 7 points8 points9 points 6 months ago[+] (10 children)

mejalx [S] 7 points8 points9 points 6 months ago[-]

Do you have any finance/trading experience? I think one of the best introductory books is: Trading and Exchanges

On the technical side, you can check out one of the many open source projects and go from there. If you’ll be more specific on what you want to learn and what you want to do, I could elaborate.

jdk 3 points4 points5 points 6 months ago[+] (5 children)

jdk 3 points4 points5 points 6 months ago[-]

Any points to a few of those? By links I don’t necessarily mean URL, a few names for googling would suffice, if the names are not too generic.

mejalx [S] 5 points6 points7 points 6 months ago[+] (4 children)

mejalx [S] 5 points6 points7 points 6 months ago[-]

• MarketCetera
  • ActiveQuant
  • QuantLib
  • QuickFix

cookiecaper 0 points1 point2 points 6 months ago[+] (3 children)

cookiecaper 0 points1 point2 points 6 months ago[-]

Is there a reason your software doesn’t use or derive from one of these? Are they crappy mass-market type solutions that aren’t worth anything to someone who really makes money here or is it just because your thing works and you don’t see a need to switch?

mejalx [S] 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago[+] (2 children)

mejalx [S] 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago[-]

I use QuickFix and have used QuantLib. I had already created most of my infrastructure before MarketCetera came out and ActiveQuant wasn’t up to my requirements.

johnyb777 0 points1 point2 points 6 months ago[+] (1 child)

johnyb777 0 points1 point2 points 6 months ago[-]

Any experience of using Rightedge on the face of it it seems like quite a complete platform

mejalx [S] 0 points1 point2 points 6 months ago[+] (0 children)

mejalx [S] 0 points1 point2 points 6 months ago[-]

I honestly haven’t had good experiences with the prepackaged software. Usually I end up spending more time hacking it to what I want it to do than implementing the strategy itself.

perverted_monk 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago* [+] (1 child)

perverted_monk 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago* [-]

i have a respectable grasp of econ concepts, but ive never traded with money. i understand the terms that have been mentioned in this thread, but ive never applied them. i suppose what i need to know is how your process works — concerning work, what goes on between the time you wake up and the time you make your first trade of the day.

mejalx [S] 5 points6 points7 points 6 months ago[+] (0 children)

mejalx [S] 5 points6 points7 points 6 months ago[-]

I’ve littered information across the thread, let me know if that helps.

load more comments (2 replies)

Sign up to best of business news, informed analysis and opinions on what matters to you.
Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.

NOTE!

Check NEW site on stock forex and ETF analysis and automation

Scroll to Top