How to use market sentiment and AI to profit off the markets!

Learn the Secret

Get  our 2 Free Books

Get these now which land directly to their inbox.
Invalid email address
(Last Updated On: May 15, 2010)

Here is a conversation on reddit.com which pretty well inspired me tostart thinking about blending my knowledge of technology and financial investment. This was pretty inspiring where an indie software engineer launched his own business. He is now clearing

whatswith_this 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (3 children)

I do use some standard AI procedures, but not for actual trading. I don’t use technicals and I’m not an algorithmic trader in that I’m not in that specific business (algorithmic implies execution).

[deleted] 6 months ago[+] (1 child)

[deleted] 6 months ago[-]

[deleted]

mejalx [S] 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago[+] (0 children)

mejalx [S] 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago[-]

I’ve used everything from neural nets, SVMs, particle swarm optimization, to artificial immune systems. I have a significant investment in automated news analysis, specifically sentiment interpretation.

load more comments (1 reply)

InAFewWords 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (1 child)

InAFewWords 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

Do you code GUI interfaces in Visual Basics to track the market in real time?

mejalx [S] 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago[+] (0 children)

mejalx [S] 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago[-]

Yes. My VB GUI tracks down Cramer’s sheep so I can be in line to take the other side of their trades.

codoholic 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (1 child)

codoholic 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

I wish to learn more about this. I want to apply my knowledge of mathematics, statistics and programming. But I do realize I need to train under someone. Since that is not immediately possible what do you recommend as far as subscribing to services like befriendthetrend.com just to get a feel for trading based on their strategies and methods. Will it substitute having a real trainer if I diligently analyse trades and participate in online forums.

mejalx [S] 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (0 children)

mejalx [S] 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

Bad, don’t do it. You’d be better off watching the market in real-time for a few weeks. Take good notes and see what behaviors you can identify. Take note of reactions to news, competitors, etc.

datacaliber 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (1 child)

datacaliber 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

Could you expand on the time before you went full-time? What motivated you to even start this? Was it difficult staying tuned with the markets considering you had a 9-5?

mejalx [S] 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago* [+] (0 children)

mejalx [S] 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago* [-]

A friend of mine, an institutional trader, got me into thinking about it seriously one night after I was bitching to him about how much money my money manager was losing for me.

At first I started out on Asian/European markets so I could trade real-time while I wasn’t at work, and then slowly started automating things which I could monitor while at work. At the point where I was confident that I could provide for myself, I quit and went full time.

Mainsley 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (1 child)

Mainsley 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

What is your opinion on the accusations of market manipulation toward GS (& others) of front running the market? Is there any evidence to support these claims?

mejalx [S] 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (0 children)

mejalx [S] 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

I think it should be clear by now that there is manipulation on all fronts. From news, to circle jerk analyst upgrades, to behind closed door bailouts, to front running and flash orders.

cookiecaper 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (0 children)

cookiecaper 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

What’s your tax rate?

[deleted] 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (4 children)

[deleted] 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

This entry was posted in Quant Opinion, Stock News and Tips and tagged , , , on by .

About caustic

Hi i there My name is Bryan Downing. I am part of a company called QuantLabs.Net This is specifically a company with a high profile blog about technology, trading, financial, investment, quant, etc. It posts things on how to do job interviews with large companies like Morgan Stanley, Bloomberg, Citibank, and IBM. It also posts different unique tips and tricks on Java, C++, or C programming. It posts about different techniques in learning about Matlab and building models or strategies. There is a lot here if you are into venturing into the financial world like quant or technical analysis. It also discusses the future generation of trading and programming Specialties: C++, Java, C#, Matlab, quant, models, strategies, technical analysis, linux, windows P.S. I have been known to be the worst typist. Do not be offended by it as I like to bang stuff out and put priorty of what I do over typing. Maybe one day I can get a full time copy editor to help out. Do note I prefer videos as they are much easier to produce so check out my many video at youtube.com/quantlabs