fbpx

History of this 7 digit income for the programmer and what computer languages used

(Last Updated On: May 8, 2010)

This is one of many posts you will see on this.
Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9s9d7/iama_100_automated_independent_retail_trader_i/

macdude 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

you should do an IamA!

mindhacker 2 points3 points4 points 7 months ago[+] (29 children)

mindhacker 2 points3 points4 points 7 months ago[-]

• What is your technical background?
  • Your financial background?
  • How much do you make on an average per annum?
  • Do you work alone? If yes, would it be better if you had a team?
  • Finally, how can one reach the position you are in currently, in terms of time, knowledge, investment etc.

Thanks!

mejalx [S] 15 points16 points17 points 6 months ago* [+] (28 children)

mejalx [S] 15 points16 points17 points 6 months ago* [-]

• BS Operations Research/BS Computer Science. I worked as a software developer at a technology consulting firm.
  • I was making 65k/year for several years. After expenses I was an average middle class employee. I started trading with around 35k and then later borrowed additional money from family and friends.
  • After taxes, business expenses (I operate through a single member LLC), I earned a little under 7 figures in 2008. I’ve since ramped up volume, but I’m lagging behind last year.
  • Yes, I work alone. I am in contact with others traders, but mostly we just bullshit around and speculate on the future of our economy. I’d love to have a few people to bounce ideas off of and to get more perspectives. I’ve entertained the idea of going past a single member LLC and attempt to expand, but the business is cut-throat and I’ve only got a few good edges.
  • I was honestly clueless when I first started trading. I’ve got to admit I got roped in by the great advertising, flashing lights, indicator loaded charts, and of course the lure of fast/big money. It didn’t take me long to abandon all of that garbage. From there on, I, being a computer science guy, decided to stick with automated non-TA based strategies. I was also lucky enough to have an incredibly experienced trader teach me the ropes and a couple of really important lessons. I never looked at the market the same way and developed my strategies upon those principles. It took me around 7 months from inception to have a working trading model with a sizable edge, which I started trading with 26k (down from 35k at start). There were a couple of books that helped me along (On modelling, derivatives, etc), and my stats knowledge also came in handy.

mindhacker 6 points7 points8 points 6 months ago[+] (6 children)

mindhacker 6 points7 points8 points 6 months ago[-]

Very interesting read. A couple more questions if you don’t mind.

• What is the most counter-intuitive thing you have learnt over the years?
  • What are the hours like? (time during trading hours + time spent developing the platform)
  • What kind of hardware do you run on?
  • What languages do you use?
  • Is your competition similar to you (computers background, single person LLC) or are you unique?

Thanks again for your valuable time.

mejalx [S] 13 points14 points15 points 6 months ago[+] (5 children)

mejalx [S] 13 points14 points15 points 6 months ago[-]

• I’ll have to get back to you on that. First thing that came to mind was how I developed a complete detachment from the money at stake, but that’s sort of lame. I feel like it should be some market parable, like the triend is your friend until it ends? Let me get back to you on this.
  • I usually do a 8-6 routine. Since I’m mostly automated, I can work on research during the day.
  • It’s all commodity hardware running linux. I’ve got three servers colo’d in New Jersey. I have a little control center in my office from which I keep tabs on everything.
  • I’m ashamed to say, but my infrastructure is basically a rig job. My goal was to get running as quickly as possible and I’ve basically glued various components together, which means I’m mixing C++, Java, Python. I try to do most of my work in Python and then I’ll drop back to C++ for performance requirements. I’ve been trying to harmonize things, but that task usually takes the back burner to strategy research/development.
  • I know of/met a handful of traders who are automated like myself. I’m sure there’s quite a few of us out there, but the game is controlled by larger players.

evilbunny 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[+] (4 children)

evilbunny 1 point2 points3 points 6 months ago[-]

Sign up to best of business news, informed analysis and opinions on what matters to you.
Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.

NOTE!

Check NEW site on stock forex and ETF analysis and automation

Scroll to Top